Browse

Langmeil
The site where the Langmeil winery now sits was originally settled by Blacksmith Christian Auricht way back in 1842. Christian went on to establish a bakery, smithy, a butcher's shop and a cobbler as well as planting a 1 hectare vineyard on the estate. This vineyard,still in use today, has been called the FreeD. 1843 block and is believed to be one of the oldest Shiraz vineyards in the world.The modern story began in 1996 when three friends Chris Bitter, Carl Lindner and Richard Lindner - all fourth generation Barossans - started afresh at Langmeil. . The original winery established on the property in the 1930's, closed down in 1988 and lay abandoned and derelict for many years, until the Bitter and Lindner families purchased the property and began a painstaking restoration programme. Vinification of individual vineyard parcels, minimal handling and gentle filtration techniques overseen by Chief Winemaker Paul Lindner ensure extremely well balanced wines with subtle complexities. Langmeil are helping to drive a Barossa trend towards more complex and approachable wines that drink well now, but show their cellaring potential. Like many Barossan estates with a bent for traditional full bodied reds, Langmeil prefers open fermenters and basket presses, utilising this fabulously archaic methods for over half its grape intake of approximately 1000 tonnes. In a similar vein, the wines are only minimally handled and minimally filtered before bottling in an attempt to preserve natural flavour and complexity.
Display: Grid / List
Show:
Sort By: