Price:  £31.60 | Case Rate: £29.99
Ex Tax: £26.33

Ayala - Brut Majeur NV

Information

  • Country: France
  • Wine Region: Champagne
  • Wine Maker: Nicolas Klym
  • Grape: Champagne Blend
  • Grape Percentage: 40% Pinot Noir 40% Chardonnay 20% Pinot Meunier
  • Alcohol Percentage: 12.5%
  • Unit Quantity (ml): 750
  • Best To Drink: Drink Now
Duty/Vat Paid
VS: 88 (NV) JR: 16.5 (NV) WS: 89 (NV) WE: 90 (NV)

Wine tasting notes

Pale gold in colour with a fine mousse, the wine is aromatic on the nose. On the palate, it is well balanced and shows great finesse and complexity. It is the Pinot Noir that gives the wine richness and a long finish while the Chardonnay, from the finest soils of the Côte des Blancs, adds delicacy, liveliness and freshness. Pinot Meunier, mainly from the Marne Valley, gives the wine an appealing fruitiness and roundness.

Winery Information

Ayala

Ayala is one of the most exciting stories in Champagne today, almost the definition of a boutique Champagne producer. Independently owned, a small team of 12 with what must be the youngest head of a producer in Champagne, every step of production from grape reception to labeling tightly controlled in their jewel of a facility, and above all, an incredible precision in crafting Chardonnay-focused wines that deliver immense pleasure, freshness, and elegance. Long known as the “sleeping.. read more

Expert Reviews

Vinous/Antonio Galloni (NV)88 pts

Dec 2017 - Ayala's NV Brut Majeur is an attractive, entry-level Champagne. Dried pear, brioche, dried flowers and smoke are some of the many notes that flesh out in this creamy, open-knit Champagne. Drink the Brut Majeur over the next few years.

JancisRobinson.com (NV)16.5 pts

Tasted Oct 2012 - Fine textured, lacy. Masses of acidity. Fine, long, dense.

Wine Spectator (NV)89 pts

This balanced Champagne offers a creamy bead and a fresh mix of ground white pepper, ginger, Red Delicious apple, biscuit and citrus peel flavors.

Wine Enthusiast (NV)90 pts

Jan 2018 - The nonvintage cuvée from this producer, this bottling exemplifies the drier style that's the firm's hallmark. It is elegant, a fruity wine that is also crisply textured. Drink now.

Vinification Notes

The NV Brut is always the best expression of the style of a great Champagne House. The origin of the crus give a good idea of the quality of the wine. Pinot Noir: Aÿ, Mareuil sur Aÿ, Louvois, Bouzy, Tours sur Marne, Verzy, Rilly. Chardonnay: Cramant, Mesnil-sur-Oger, Cuis, Vertus. Pinot Meunier: Venteuil, Cerseuil, St Martin d’Ablois, Chavot. These villages are ranked at the very high level of 93% on the échelle des crus scale. 85% of this cuvée comes from the 2006 vintage and the remaining 15% is made up of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir reserve wines. The wine has spent more than two and a half years on its lees in our cellars, and rested for three months after disgorgement.