Price:  £18.95 | Case Rate: £17.99
Ex Tax: £15.79

Chakana - Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

Information

  • Country: Argentina
  • Wine Region: Mendoza
  • Wine Area: Lujan de Cuyo
  • Wine Maker: Gabriel Bloise
  • Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Grape Percentage: 100%
  • Alcohol Percentage: 14.5%
  • Unit Quantity (ml): 750
  • Best To Drink: Drink Now - 2019
Food Matching

Food Matching

Excellent with roasted meats, duck, salad, pasta, pizza.

Duty/Vat Paid
WA: 92 (2012) JR: 16.5+ (2012) WS: 87 (2013) JS: 88 (2013) WE: 88 (2013)

Wine tasting notes

A ripe, fleshy style, with blackberry and fig sauce notes laced with bittersweet Grenache. Powerful and layered, with classic Cabernet aromatics. Dark and ripe, with a nice loamy edge lurking on the finish.

Winery Information

Chakana

Chakana winery was founded by Juan Pelizzatti on May 2nd, 2002. Juan was driven to enter the wine industry first and foremost by his passion for wine, and also by the desire to invest his time and money on a product of agriculture. Although Juan did not know it at the time, the company was founded on the same day the Chakana was celebrated on the Andes highlands: on that same day, the Southern Cross (the Chakana for the Inca people) becomes vertical in the night Andean sky.Juan's mission is to.. read more

Expert Reviews

Wine Advocate/Robert Parker (2012)92 pts

Wine Advocate #208 Aug 2013 - Robert Parker - Made from 100% hand-harvested Cabernet Sauvignon, two-thirds of the 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve spent 12 months in French oak and one-third in concrete. It is a classic Mendoza Cabernet Sauvignon from alluvial soils. Maipe owns significant acreage in two main vineyards, Agrelo and Alta Mira. Classic notes of creme de cassis, cedarwood and vanillin are accompanied by a wine with a beautiful, full-bodied texture, deep, rich, concentrated flavors and a long finish. For $15.00, it is impossible to find a Cabernet Sauvignon this good from anywhere else in the world.

JancisRobinson.com (2012)16.5+ pts

Tasted Nov 2013 - Interesting nose - minty, rich black fruit. Eloquent Cabernet character. Good high tannin - really well made, not too heavy, no bitterness, no jamminess. (RH)

Wine Spectator (2013)87 pts

Dec '14 - The cherry and spicy plum flavors are juicy and lively in this bright style, with a tangy finish and plenty of mocha and spice notes. Chewy tannins. Drink now through 2017.

James Suckling (2013)88 pts

June '15 - A savory and fruity red with blueberry, toasted oak and vanilla character. Full body, good fruit and a simple finish. Drink now.

Wine Enthusiast (2013)88 pts

Spicy, herbal plum and berry aromas are a bit rubbery and offer a sweet hint of cinnamon powder. This is deep and ripe on the palate, with rooty flavors of blackberry, fig and baking spices. Lasting rooty nuances blend with cocoa notes and mild heat on the finish. — M.S. (10/1/2015)

Vinification Notes

Made from 100% hand-selected Cabernet Sauvignon from the best parcels of the estate. The grapes are carefully chosen and fermented in small lots to preserve the vineyard identity. Alcoholic fermentation for 10 days with indigenous and selected yeasts, at temperatures of 26 and 30°C, combining, remontage, pigage and delestage in order to obtain the best quality of tannins and structure. 70% of the resulting wine is aged for 12 months in French oak barrels to fully reveal the character of the Andean terroir, and the remaining 30% is aged in concrete vats.