The wines from La Giustiniana continue to improve with every passing vintage. The changes wrought in the winery just over 10 years ago and the introduction of top young consultant winemaker Donato Lanati in 1998, are now being matched by improvements in the vineyard, where better grapes are giving richer, purer and better balanced wines of remarkable character and originality. The winemaking origins of this estate in the Appenine foothills of Piemonte date back to 1250 when it was an Abbey, producing wheat and wine.
The guard-tower and some parts of the chapel still remain. Its ownership changed over the centuries, passing through the hands of the Giustiniani family who rebuilt it in its current form in 1625. La Giustiniana is owned by the Lombardini family and has 30 hectares of vineyard in production situated at 300-500 metres above sea level in the heart of Rovereto in Gavi. They makes two single vineyard Gavis. Soils here are grey marl with loose sandy topsoil, resulting in an open style of wine. The vines are Guyot trained and are planted at a density of 4000 vines per hectare. The wines are unoaked, allowing the character of the vineyard to shine through.