Cantine Volpi was founded in Tortona, a commune in Piedmont in the north-west of Italy in 1914, when Christina Volpi and her two sons bought a taverna where they sold wine by the glass. The acquisition of another taverna followed in 1920 and they began to sell wine to Milan and Genoa. Expansion rapidly followed, but despite owning their own winery with a production capacity of 30,000 hectolitres, they had always made wine from other people's grapes, and it wasn't until the 1980's that Bruno and Carlo Volpi bought their own vineyards in the Colli Tortonesi. The business remains family owned now fourth and fifth generation, run today by Carlo Volpi, the winemaker, with his wife Laura and son Marco. Cantine Volpi have always been innovators and pioneers. In 1974, together with the renowned winemaker Giuliano Noè, they launched a natural semi-sparkling wine made from the Cortese grape variety and created DOC Colli Tortonese Cortese Frizzante, which paved the way for the future successes of Prosecco and Franciacorta. In the late 1990's at a time when the organic wine market did not exist in Italy, they created an experimental range of organic wines. They are passionate about the environment and organic wines; 70% of their production has organic certification. Cantine Volpi have two brands: the Volpi range, made predominantly from the native grape varieties of the Tortonese Hills, and the organic Bio range called Era after the Greek goddess of nature. Their impressive portfolio comprises both still and sparkling wines. Their success is undeniable – they produce over 4 million of bottles of wine annually and export to 35 countries. These wines are authentic expressions of the Tortona Hills, blending tradition with innovation seamlessly.