Chateau de Santenay
This magnificent 9th century property is also known as ‘Château Philippe le Hardi’, named after the first Duke of Burgundy. Philippe le Hardi received his duchy from his father, the King of France, and became famous for banning the cultivation of Gamay in the Côte d‘Or, saying in his edict of 1395 that only Pinot Noir could be used in the production of red wines from the already fabled slopes.
Despite its long history, the property fell on hard times until it was taken over by French bank Crédit Agricole, who has invested heavily in the estate over the past decade, putting the emphasis on quality. The property has 98 hectares of vineyard, 72 of which are in Mercurey, and has recently acquired vineyards in Gevrey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny.