The beautiful Château Loudenne is a Cru Bourgeois estate located in the commune of Saint-Yzans-de-Médoc, where monks planted vines in the 13th century. It lies about 6 kilometres from St-Estèphe, on the banks of the Gironde estuary, on the last gravel bank of the Haut Médoc. The stunning 17th century property, built in 1670, has passed through many hands over the years, but In 1875 the estate was bought by brothers Alfred and Walter Gilbey, English merchants, who produced Gilbey's gin. They were the first negotiants to be based in the Médoc, and they modernised the cellars, commissioning the Bordeaux architect Ernest Minvielle to design a two-storey vat hall, which was ultra-modern at the time. In 1880 Loudenne became the first peninsula château to make a white wine. The estate remained in the Gilbey family for 125 years until 2000 when it was sold to the Lafragette family. In 2013 Loudenne was taken over by its present owners, the Chinese Moutaï group. It is known as the Pink Château of the Médoc, and it is the only estate in the Médoc to have its own private dock. It also has a rare collection of David Austin roses, and the wine bottles have an embossed golden rose on their labels and capsules. The château became famous in the roaring 1920's when it hosted some of the most glamorous parties in the region, and its party reputation continued through the 20th century entertaining such prestigious guests as Winston Churchill, Jeanne Moreau and Princess Margaret. 62 hectares are under vine on soils rich in ancient gravel on the surface with clay beneath, with 48 dedicated to red varieties planted with 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 46% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot, and 14 hectares to white varieties planted with 75% Sauvignon Blanc and 25% Sémillon. The red wines are aged for a year in oak, one third new. This enchanting estate produces a fine range of well-priced white rosé and red wines from their exceptional geographic location.