Chateau Mont Redon
Château Mont-Redon is one of the oldest wine-producing estates in France with vines being grown there in Roman times 2,000 years ago, when vines were planted at the bottom of the hill that would give the estate its name. In 1344 “ Mourredon” was officially recognised as a vineyard when it was part of the Pope’s land holdings in the Rhône, and over the years the name has morphed into Mont-Redon, which means “round hill”. The estate has passed through several hands; in the mid 18th century it was owned by Joseph Ignace d'Astier and then it passed to the Mathieu family who were descendants of d'Astier. Anselme Mathieu styled himself as the “Marquis of Mont-Redon”, and the estate was eventfully split between his siblings in the mid-1800's. At this time the vineyards were ravaged by phylloxera, and it wasn't until 1923, when the property was bought by Henri Plantin, that matters began to improve. He was instrumental in creating the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation, and he began to extend the Mont-Redon vineyards, which at the time of his acquisition only consisted of 2.5 hectares. Today they have 186 hectares with 100 under vine in Châteauneuf-du-Pape alone; it is the largest single vineyard estate in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and one of the very few to grow all of the grape varieties authorized for Châteauneuf-du-Pape wines. There are additional vineyards for Côte-du-Rhône and Lirac. The Lirac vineyards are situated in the southern reach of the Rhône Valley, just above Tavel, on the opposite side of the Rhône River to Châteauneuf-du-Pape, on elevated terraces that are covered with large round stones – the famous Galets Roules, or pudding stones of the southern Rhône, and these are atop sandy soils. The property has been in the family for four generations and is one of the most prestigious producers in the southern Rhône, now run by Pierre Fabre and Yann Abeille, fourth generation descendants of Henri Plantin.