Chateau Sainte Marie
Château Sainte-Marie is located in the Entre-deux-Mers region of Bordeaux, between the Dordogne and the Garonne rivers. It has a history dating back several centuries, and used to be run by the monks of La Sauve Majeure Abbey. Château Sainte-Marie is so called because the property is on the pilgrim road to Santiago de Compostela, and it is said that when Saint-Gérard was appointed to the abbey in the 12th century, he dedicated a cult to the Virgin Mary, and many statues of the Virgin can be seen on the estate, especially in the cellar. In 1936 Edouard Mondon bought the property to make wine in bulk, but he had no issue and his nephew Gilles Dupuch, whom he had trained, and who raised the quality of the wines, inherited the estate on Edouard's death. It has been run by the Dupuch-Mondon family ever since, and is now run by Gilles' son Stéphane. Vines are planted on some of the highest land in the Gironde départment with Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Muscadelle, Sauvignon Gris, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot in four vineyard plots. The 15 hectare Alious plot has clayey-gravel soils, the Vieilles Vignes plot covers 62 hectares on mainly clayey limestone soils, the Macon parcel benefits from limestone soils with an asteria flush, and the Moulin plot also has clayey-gravel soils. The average age of the vines is around 25 years, but they have some Semillon and Merlot vines that are over 100 years old. This diversity allows them to make a wide selection of distinctive wines, notably intensely berried reds, and fresh aromatic whites.