De Castellane was established in Epernay in 1895 by Viscount Florens de Castellane, heir to one of the oldest families in France. The red Saint Andrew's cross displayed on every bottle of De Castellane champagne, is the standard of the oldest regiment in the Champagne region, and he chose this as the trademark for his house. The famous Italian painter and poster designer Leonetto Cappiello, known as 'the father of modern advertising' was asked to design an advertising poster for De Castellane, and by the turn of the 20th century De Castellane had become the champagne of choice for the fashionable set of the Parisienne Belle Epoque period. In 1907 De Castellane was acquired by the Union Champenoise, under the directorship of Fernand Mérand who integrated it into its famous building on Epernay's Avenue de Champagne, with its imposing 66 metre high tower. Fernard's son Alexandre bought De Castellane in 1927 and began exporting worldwide as far as Australia and the USA, cementing its reputation as one of the most sort-after champagnes in the most cosmopolitan cities of the world. Following Alexandre's death in 1970 his daughter Claude took over the directorship. She was married to Bernard Nonancourt, the owner and director of the champagne house Laurent-Perrier, and in 1999 De Castellane became part of the Laurent-Perrier group. It is still owned and managed by the Nonancourt family today. De Castellane is known for its harmonious champagnes, which use a high proportion of Chardonnay in their blends and are matured to perfection in their 6 kilometres of chalk cellars.