De Morgenzon means “The Morning Sun” in Afrikaans, and they named the winery this because it’s situated on a high elevation site with the highest point on the wine farm at 400 metres above sea level; it’s the first part of the Stellenboschkloof Valley to see the sun in the morning. The original property dates to 1699 and is one of the oldest farms in South Africa, which Hylton and Wendy Applebaum bought in 2003, replanted, and founded their winery. They have 55 hectares of vineyards planted on the top southern and eastern slopes of Ribbokkop, with wild flowers planted between the vines. The soils are diverse, but mainly comprise of Oakleaf and Tukula which originally developed from a granite base. They grow the white Chenin Blanc, Roussanne, Viognier, Grenache Blanc and Chardonnay, and the red Grenache Noir, Mourvedre, Syrah, Petite Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Malbec. This array of grape varieties increases blending options and a superb range of sparkling, white, rosé and red wines are produced. Now, any musicians here? At De Morgenzon they believe that music can influence the growth of a vine and the fruit it bears. They have played Baroque, and early Classical music to their growing vines in the vineyard, in the winery and in the cellar all day, and every day, since 2009. Do the vines “listen” to the music and does it “influence” them? De Morgenzon believe that music does influence the way wine tastes and smells – because music can influence how people perceive a particular wine or type of wine, they believe that it can affect a growing plant, and it has been found that Classical music does have a positive effect on root growth. It must be Classical though– Country and Rock just doesn’t pull it off apparently, and it has to be slow relaxing Classical tunes – so the 1912 is out then! De Morgenzon's wines have beautiful labels. For example, the label on their Garden Vineyards Rosé was inspired by Shakespeare’s Sonnet 154. It is called the Disarming of Cupid and is a metal template/engraving done by William E Frost which forms part of Queen Victoria’s Art collection.