Leonildo Pieropan was a doctor who was passionate about wine and in 1880 he founded the family business in Soave in the province of Verona in north-east Italy. Calvarino was the first plot of vines that would jump-start what would become a global phenomenon. Leonildo's family home was the Palazzo Pullici in Soave, which dates back to the 15th century, and remains the Pieropan's family residence and the headquarters of their business. Leonildo's sons, Gustavo and Fausto continued the business and in the early 1930's they were the first producer to label their wines as Soave. However, in 1970 there remained only one descendant of this once large family, a nephew of Leonildo's also called Leonildo (Nino) who had completed his studies in oenology and viticulture at the renowned wine school of Conegliano. He was a pioneer who acquired more vineyards in the best locations in Soave, introduced new technologies and, together with his wife Teresita, grew the business rapidly becoming one of the most renowned names in Soave with a respected presence in the world market. In 1971, from the Calvarino Vineyard, he was the first to make a single vineyard Soave. Now his sons, Andrea and Dario are the fourth generation of the Pieropan family to continue the legacy, both graduates in oenology and viticulture. Today there are 58 hectares under vine on the stony hills of the Soave Classico zone and a new winery was built in 2015 in the heart of the Soave vineyards. Although Pieropan were known for the brilliance of their Soaves, Nino had an ambition to craft red wines of the same quality. Unfortunately Nino died in 2018, and never saw his idea come to fruition. But in 2000 his sons bought the neglected Monte Garzon estate in Cellore d'Ilasi, in the production zone of Valpolicella, with the intention of making Valpolicella and Amarone to the same standard of excellence as their Soave wines. They restored and planted on land that had previously been uncultivated with grapes, and farmed organically from inception (all the Pieropan vineyards have been certified organic since 2015). They restored the stunning 18th century house and built a cellar below it. All their wines are made with meticulous attention to detail creating exceptionally pure and expressive wines that reflect the very essence of Soave and Valpolicella. These are wines of sheer, unadulterated class!