Wine Filter

Currently shopping by:

Wine Type:

Country:

Region:

Area:

Grape:

Producer:

Price: {{ priceRange }}

Feature: {{ featureOrganic }}

Feature: {{ featureVegetarian }}

Feature: {{ featureVegan }}
clear all filters

Quinta do Vallado

The Quinta was built in 1716 and is one of the oldest and most famous properties in the Douro Valley. The estate is located near the town of Régua on the banks of the River Corgo, a tributary of the Douro, on the borders of the Baixo and Cima Corgo subregions, and was acquired in 1818 by António Bernardo Ferreira, the uncle and father-in-law of the legendary Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, known affectionately as Ferrerinha, or “Little Ferreira. She was a charismatic and visionary woman who became a revered figure in the region responsible for the enormous expansion of the company. António began port wine production, which was sold under the name of the family business Casa Ferreira, and this continued until 1987 when Casa Ferreira was sold to Sogrape Vinhosin. It wasn't until 1993, under the management of Guilherme Alvares Ribeiro and his wife Maria Antónia Ferreira, that the company decided to bottle and market wines under their own Quinta do Vallado brand. That same year a thorough restructuring of the vineyards began with the primary aim of producing high quality grapes and, where it had been traditional to mix different grape varieties in the same plot known as a field blend, Vallado's new vineyards were planted with single varietals. Ferrerinha's sixth generation descendants Joᾶo Ferreira Alvares Ribeiro and Francisco Ferreira still remain in possession and manage the Vallado estate today. 65 hectares are under vine, planted at between 80 and 400 metres above sea level on schist soils, including 10 hectares of old vines planted between the 1920's and 1950's. In 2009 they acquired Quinta do Orgal in Vila Nova de Foz Côa in the Douro Superior subregion, where 35 hectares are farmed organically. In the same year a new state-of-the-art winery and cellar designed by the architect Francisco Vieira de Campo was built, predominately from local slate; it is one of the most cutting edge wineries in Portugal. An astonishing 67 different, essentially native grape varieties are cultivated, and from these a range of superb quality wines and ports are produced which are as impressive as the heritage of this iconic producer.