Price:  £15.95 | Case Rate: £15.16
Ex Tax: £13.29

Innocent Bystander - Yarra Valley Pinot Noir 2017

Information

  • Country: Australia
  • Wine Region: Victoria
  • Wine Area: Yarra Valley
  • Wine Maker: Steve Flamsteed
  • Grape: Pinot Noir
  • Grape Percentage: 100%
  • Alcohol Percentage: 13%
  • Unit Quantity (ml): 750
  • Best To Drink: Drink Now -2020
Duty/Vat Paid
WA: 84 (2014) VS: 91 (2015) JR: 15.5 (2015) WS: 90 (2016) WE: 89 (2015) JH: 93 (2016) WF: 90 (2013) W&S: 91 (2016)

Wine tasting notes

Dark cocoa powder and poached cherries. Hints of truffle oil and fresh tobacco. Wet earth and dark red forest berries Ripe cherries and cherry compote. Fresh bramble with a hint of tar and grilled meat. A round fresh palate with a twang of chalky tannin.

Expert Reviews

Wine Advocate/Robert Parker (2014)84 pts

Jun 2016 - Reviewer : Lisa Perrotti-Brown. Pale to medium ruby-purple colored, the 2014 Pinot Noir has a nose of black and red cherries and mulberries with a red rose and cinnamon stick undercurrent. Light to medium-bodied, it gives a good amount of uncomplicated flavors with a soft-spoken structure. Drink: Now - 2018.

Vinous/Antonio Galloni (2015)91 pts

Oct 2017 -Vivid red. Lively raspberry and Asian spice aromas are complemented by suggestions of tea rose and musky rhubarb. Spicy and energetic on the palate, offering juicy red fruit and spicecake flavors that deepen slowly through the midpalate. Shows appealing sweetness on a long, floral-tinged finish that's given shape by sneaky tannins.

JancisRobinson.com (2015)15.5 pts

Tasted Sep 2016 - Bright red. Simple, direct, rather jammy fruit. Lots of acidity. Does taste like off-cuts rather than a full-on fruity wine. Fine tannins. Well made as far as it goes.

Wine Spectator (2016)90 pts

Plush and elegant, with raspberry, cherry and fresh sage notes that are harmonious, juicy and intense on the finish.

Wine Enthusiast (2015)89 pts

This is an unusually firm, structured Pinot Noir for $20. Floral notes and hints of ripe cherries mark the nose, while the flavors feature cherry and vanilla. Probably best paired with slightly fatty or rich dishes, like roast pork.

James Halliday (2016)93 pts

This vintage produced many full-flavored Pinots, this a very good example. Its color is deep, the bouquet and palate focused around dark cherry fruit and attendant flecks of spice - spice that will grow with time. The length, balance and varietal fruit expression are an excellent base for the future (and for now).

Wine Front (2013)90 pts

Strawberry, raspberry jam, spice and maybe a whiff of toffee apple. Fleshy, sweet berry wine with a good spread of firmish chalky tannin giving it a bit of oomph and structure. Juicy sweet finish of fair length. Good bang per buck here.

Wine & Spirits (2016)91 pts

This is the last vintage Steve Flamsteed’s team made for Innocent Bystander, after Phil Sexton sold the brand to Brown Brothers. It’s a lovely gift to the new owners, a simple pinot noir with a luscious texture and tight, tense, floral, spicy drive. The light green-peppercorn scent makes it an ideal match for charcuterie.

Vinification Notes

100% Hand picked. Destemmed, not crushed to open top fermenters. Whole bunches were used on batches at varying percentages based on fruit structure and source. A 3 to 7 day cold soak at 8˚C was performed followed by fermentation with mainly indigenous yeast strains. Variations of Pigeage and Remontage methods were applied to the ferments. Fermentation peaked at 32 ˚C with a small volume (approx 5%) run off at 2 baume for partial barrel ferment. No post ferment maceration. 60% of this wine was matured in stainless steel tanks to preserve freshness. The remaining 40% was matured in a mixture of new and used french oak barriques.